FAQ's about Uganda!

Dear friends,

By now, many of you have heard that I have accepted a teaching position in Uganda for the 2019-2020 school year. I've gotten a LOT of questions about what I'll be doing specifically, so I'm going to do my best to answer them here!

What will you be doing? 


Meet the Harpers! The Harpers are a missionary family serving in Arua, Uganda (northern part of Uganda, about a nine-hour drive from Uganda's capital). They minister to South Sudanese refugees in Uganda. Because of their close proximity to the South Sudan border in Arua, there are about half a million South Sudanese refugees within a three hour radius of the Harpers' home.

Sid and Wendy have eleven kids, but "only" eight that currently live with them in Uganda (the others are college-aged). Two of those eight are Charlie, 14, and Levi, 12, who were adopted from Ukraine in 2010. Charlie and Levi both have Down syndrome and Charlie also has Autism. My primary role will be teaching Charlie and Levi. This will be mostly homeschooling, but we will also have an opportunity to join a special needs class at the Uganda school a few times per week. Since this is new territory for all of us, we aren't exactly sure all of the details of what this position might look like. As with any special education teaching position, flexibility is key! Part of my role will be going with the Harpers and their children when they do ministry in the refugee camps as an extra set of hands. I may also have some opportunity to help lead Bible studies or volunteer at The Sunflower Center, a new nonprofit providing holistic care to individuals and families affected by disability in Uganda. I've been assured there are plenty of ways to get involved!

How did you hear about this opportunity?
Actually, through Instagram! My friend Rachel tagged me in one of Wendy's posts about needing a special education teacher back in March. At first, I completely dismissed it, but then I thought it wouldn't hurt to just get some more information. A few emails, texts, phone calls, and Skype interviews later here we are!

Are you going with an organization?
No. The Harpers are serving in Uganda with an organization called His Voice International, but I am not affiliated with that organization. I am going independently to be a teacher for the Harper family.

Will you earn a salary?
Not exactly. As missionaries, the Harpers raise their own financial support. They also have other teachers who are currently with them for their older and younger kids. That being said, the Harpers are generously providing room and board for me for the duration of my stay. I will be responsible for covering other monthly costs (insurance, toiletries, etc.) and the cost of travel. I've started fundraising by selling t-shirts (click here to purchase one!) and will be sending out more information soon on how you can support me financially!

Where are you going to live?
The Harpers live on a compound in Arua where I will be staying. Yes, the buildings all have real floors, walls, a roof, etc. As of right now, it looks like I will have my own room. If other teachers/missionaries end up staying with us, then I may share a room with one other girl. We do also have power (although unreliable) and I've been assured all Western toilets!

When do you leave/when do you come back?
I'm not sure about specific dates right now. I will leave the first week of August and return some time in May 2020.

What about your place/stuff here?
I currently have one roommate, Mallory, and we rent an apartment in Matthews. Our current lease ends on August 1, so that works out well for my departure date. Mallory's younger brother, Jake, is going to move in with her and take my spot. All of my living room/dining room furniture will stay in the apartment while I am gone for Mallory and Jake to use. I will likely be having a yard sale to get rid of quite a bit of my things that are non-essential, as I will have to put my bedroom furniture and all other belongings that I don't take with me in storage. My parents are going drive my car for me while I'm away.

What will you do when you come back?
I'm not quite sure about that yet. I would love to come back and continue living in the Matthews area. I assume I will continue teaching in some capacity. Although I am not guaranteed a position at my current school when I come back, I have been told by my administration that they will do everything within their power to have me back. I'll handle that when the time comes.

Do you have more questions? I'd love to hear from you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love God, Love People...

Update from South Africa!