Beautiful "SON-rise"
Confession: I don’t really love waking up at 5am every morning. However, one of the things I have delighted in most about student teaching (besides the fact that I am now reunited with my beloved fifth graders) is that I’ve gotten to watch the sun rise every morning during my 30-minute commute to school. After having watched some 40+ sunrises, I noticed something that intrigued me. On clear days, days when there are absolutely no clouds in the sky, the sunrise is indeed beautiful. But, when there are clouds in the sky, the sunrise is absolutely breathtaking. Something about the way the lights plays off of the clouds makes the sunrise beyond words, which has actually caused me to hope that there are clouds in the sky every morning. If you’ve never experienced this for yourself, allow me to show you what I mean:
Now, what I’m going to say next, I have no doubt that my fifth graders would say, “That’s so cheesy.” Nonetheless, I couldn’t help but think about how this parallels life. When we aren’t faced with any real trials (the clouds), God receiving glory from our lives is still beautiful. Yet, when we are faced with trials, there’s something stunning about the way that the hope we have in Christ shines through those “clouds”. Words simply can’t describe how glorious it is, and ultimately, this is better. This verse came to my mind:
“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds…” James 1:2Okay, seriously? I always thought this was one of those verses people just quote when they were facing a trial and trying to make themselves have a good attitude about it. I mean, it’s one thing not to complain when you’re facing a trial, but to “consider it pure joy”…that’s a bit much, right? Does anyone really “consider it pure joy” when they face trials? Let’s take a look at the definition of joy: “the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying.” This is literally the opposite of the natural human reaction we have to trials (which would be sorrow, grief, unhappiness).
“…because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.” James 1:3
So we delight in our trials because we know that it produces perseverance, and ultimately brings God more glory. And isn’t this what compels us? The essence of our existence is to bring glory to the Father…and as much of it as possible. Our prime example of this was Jesus. When I think of the extreme suffering that Christ endured on the cross, my so-called “sufferings” seem so petty and miniscule. Yet Jesus said, “Not my will, but Yours be done, Father.” He endured the suffering on the cross, all of God’s wrath poured out on him, because he knew of the glory that was to come from it. This is why we are able to do as in 1 Peter 4:13, “But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.”


I LOVED this post Caitlin!!! Thanks for sharing! :)
ReplyDelete